SWKLS U.P. is designed to be an innovative blueprint for system unification. The objective of SWKLS U.P. is to nurture accessibility and system engagement together—to unify our system. Currently, we see many similarities and differences among our members. Each of our libraries has unique qualities which are to be celebrated! Within each library, we believe that unifying our workflows will result in the “planting” of healthy habits and procedures. Using the SWKLS wiki as the “roots” of this blueprint, SWKLS U.P. will nurture four areas of growth.
Areas of Growth
Let's imagine SWKLS Unity Project as a tree. The wiki will serve as the “roots” of reference to nurture the blossoming of the SWKLS U.P. “tree”. SWKLS U.P. is designed to unify these four “branches” of our “tree”.
- Integrated Library System (ILS) = VERSO
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) = SHAREit & OCLC
- Program to Welcome New Directors
The SWKLS U.P. tree is a living, breathing organism. And, when it is fully grown, it will be strong. Our system will be strong. Members will notice a stream-lined accreditation process, accurate statistics and reports, additional opportunities for continuing education, and a much healthier, more reliable catalog. Accessibility and searchability will increase exponentially.
1. ILS Workflow
SWKLS uses VERSO for our Integrated Library System, or ILS. This “branch” of the SWKLS U.P. “tree” will unify how our members manage VERSO. SWKLS U.P. will include many C.E. opportunities. The SWKLS wiki will be the “roots” of reference that will nurture a maximum level of success by unifying how we:
- Customize VERSO.
- Reporting and inventory accuracy.
- Regularly cleaning up records.
- Participate in a system calendar.
2. ILL Workflow
The State of Kansas uses SHAREit to manage Interlibrary Loan, or ILL. Items not found in SHAREit can be requested from OCLC through the Collection Specialist. This “branch” of the SWKLS U.P. “tree” will unify how our members maintain their ILL activity. SWKLS U.P. will include many C.E. opportunities. The SWKLS wiki will be the “roots” of reference that will nurture a maximum level of success by unifying how we:
- Customize SHAREit.
- Digitize tracking.
- Increase numbers of requests.
- Train two staff members per library
3. A Program to Welcome New Directors
- Welcome to SWKLS program
- Mentorship matching
- Available resources for guidance
- Social activities through Zoom
- 30+ Member Libraries
- 60+ Servers (physical, virtual, cloud)
- 150+ Network Devices (routers, switches, access points, printers)
- 350+ Computers (desktops, laptops, tablets)
- Examples of Uniformity:
- Computers (Desktops & Laptops)
- Installed Software / Online Software
- Benefits of Uniformity:
- Ease of Use
- Consistent User Experience
- Quick Deploy / Redeploy
- Training Availability
- Better Security
- Faster Incident Response
- Group Purchase Discount
- Examples of Uniformity: