Reports For Weeding
Example: Weeding items which haven’t been checked out in five+ years.
- Staff Dashboard – Circ Reports – Report Writer
- Create a new report – Items – New Report
- What to search – Items – Current Branch Loc Coll – Equal – Select the specific location that you would like to weed (i.e. adult fiction, juvenile nonfiction, DVDs, etc.)
- Add another parameter – Items – Last Checkout Date – Less than – Choose a date, i.e. 5 years ago by…
- Click calendar icon next to today’s date.
- Click on the gray bar where today’s month and year appear.
- Move the little arrow to the left to move the year back five years.
- Click on month then the date that = 5 years ago today.
- Click Select Output Fields (upper right-hand corner)
- Tell Verso exactly what you want to see. I recommend choosing the below options:
- Click on ISBN – then Add
- Title – Add
- Barcode – Add
- Call number – Add
- Date Item Added – Add
- Last Checkout Date – Add
- Material Type – Add
- Choose the order in which you would like these fields to be displayed when the report is complete. Click on ISBN, it will become highlighted in gray. Then, select “move up” or “move down” to edit the order. I recommend this order:
- Call number
- Material Type
- Date Item Added
- Last Checkout Date
- Underneath, click the blue circle next to “allow duplicates”. If you have more than one copy of the same item, you will want to see it in the report.
- Click Save Report in the upper right-hand corner.
- Name the report, i.e. “Weed adult fic – 5 yrs”. Click Save.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking if you want to run the report now.
- If you do, click “yes”.
- You can schedule the report to run on a regular schedule (i.e. monthly, yearly, etc.).
- Or, to run it only once right now, choose frequency – once.
- The date and time of this minute will automatically populate in Pacific Standard Time.
- Click Schedule.
- You will then see a list of the customized reports which have been made for your library. Close this screen by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.
- Staff Dashboard – Circ Reports – View Reports. Our report will appear at the top of the list, its name underlined. We told Verso to run this report right now, and we can refresh this screen to check if the report is finished.
- To do this, click this icon on the right-hand side:
- Then, click the second button to refresh:
The report is ready to view when REPORTWRITER REPORT appears under File Name. Status will say completed. Click on the blue text to download the report, which will appear in the very bottom of your internet’s window. (It will also appear in the Downloads folder on your computer.) Double-click the report, and it will automatically open in Excel.
Notice that the call numbers are not in numerical order, and we need to fix this. At the top of the Excel sheet, click “enable editing”, if it appears. Highlight everything beneath row 5. That is, highlight every column and row underneath the blue bar that reads: “Call #, Author, Title, etc.”
- In the toolbar on the upper right-hand side, you will see a button labeled “A Z Sort & Filter”. Click it.
- Pull down on “Sort A to Z”. The order of the information will then appear in numerical order by call #, which will make shelf-reading much easier.
- This report can be saved, printed, or edited to display information in a different collection.
Updated by KKE 6/19/20
See Report_Writer article for more information.